Monday 16 February 2015

Miss Havisham - Before and After

In our lesson with Fenella, we began looking at development for our Miss Havisham characters. We had to choose either Estella or Miss Havisham to focus on, and working in partners, we looked at creating two looks on each half of the face. I decided to focus on Miss Havisham, as she is my favourite character from the novel.


 I decided to look at her hours before the wedding, and years after. There is a definite contrast between the two looks. The left side, I decided to create a light base, subtley powdered, with rosy lips and cheeks. This is a very typical Victorian look, and historically accurate. 


The opposing side, I used a pale base once again, but powdered with the Kryolan Brilliant Colour Powders in Grey. This gives a sense of deathliness to the character, and negligence. I hollowed out her eye sockets and cheeks using the black powder, but I feel I could exaggerate this aspect a lot more for greater impact. I used the same lip colour from the Kryolan Lip Palette, but smudged this off the lips, to show how Miss Havisham does not care for her beauty anymore. I feel I should have worked into her wrinkles whilst completing this look, to age the character, as this look was to be years later. 


This practical was enjoyable, as you could create both sides of Miss Havisham. You could portray her happiness and beauty in one side, whilst you could rip that away from her like her fiancee did, on the other side of the face. It showed me how to create a look that is more natural still uses a lot of products, with the same amount of effort. I prefer the deathly side of Miss Havisham, as it becomes a lot more exciting for me, creating dark looks.





No comments:

Post a Comment