Monday 16 March 2015

Victorian Miss Havisham and Estella - Evaluation



Here I have applied a filter and a frame around both of these images. I wanted to see how the characters looked through a 'Victorian Style' photograph, and I am really pleased with the outcome. By putting a sepia filter over the image, ages them a lot more than I expected. The images now look ghostly and eerie, and most importantly more gothic.

I have really enjoyed this unit, as it has focused on TV/Film makeup, which is the industry I would like to go into after leaving university. I have enjoyed completing my own research, as I have looked into aspects of The Gothic that have interested me. I feel I have been more proactive in my research, and have practised a lot out of class. I have always been interested in the Gothic, which I feel is why I have been more eager to complete my own research. The seminar with Sharon on Momento Mori has been my favourite seminar so far, I learnt a lot, but I still wanted to go home and look into different aspects of this. I feel I have managed my time well, I have aimed to do blog posts soon after the seminars and practicals, to keep on top of them. This has helped me to be a lot less stressed than I was in the unit before this. I found the design quite difficult, as I wanted to be original, but keep to the brief of the look being historically accurate. I struggled with choosing a final design, but once I had it I was eager to practice. I developed my character by trying to communicate how she was feeling at the time, as well as what toll her lifestyle took on her body. I tried to empathise with the character of Miss Havisham, her desperation which filled her. With Estella, I wanted to show more of my technique, which is why I chose the bruising. As I didn't use prosthetics for my Miss Havisham, I wanted to use the bruising for Estella. I feel this worked well, as tried to portray how she would try to cover her injuries up, and carry on life as normal. I feel empathising with the character and imagining how you would feel in their position really helped me to understand the character, and produce my designs. Overall, this unit has taught me the importance of continuity, and I have realised that I am really interested in TV/Film and Special Effects Makeup. 


No comments:

Post a Comment