Monday 4 May 2015

Manipulating faces

When creating my character Quentin, I wanted to experiment with how I can change the facial structure. I have noticed how by changing just one element of the face, or concealing it, will unnerve people. In Alice In Wonderland, there is the character of the Cheshire Cat. In the most recent remake of the film, the cat is a lot more dark than the original Disney movie. So I wanted to experiment with making him even darker. I started off with a white base, and then with black Supracolour, drew the outlines of the mouth, teeth and eyes. Then filled in the teeth with a more intense white, and the eyes with green. By working on my eyelids creating the eyes, it becomes quite unnerving to look at, as I have created the illusion that those large, green, staring eyes are in fact my own. By creating the illusion of the mouth and the eyes transforms my face, and creates a visual illusion. By changing just two features of my face, really changes the way I look, to the extent where it becomes quite difficult to look at. 



Below I have edited my image, enhancing the contrast and vibrancy to make the look more dark. 


Creating the illusion of changing the facial features of a person has a massive effect on the reaction towards that person, which is my aim for my character of Quentin.

No comments:

Post a Comment